Olmsted Park

Tuesday, June 11, 2013


The day was still quite young on Sunday morning when I made my way to Olmsted Park, about two miles from my new abode and easily accessible by the 66 bus. I ached for greenery on such a beautiful, near summer morning and found my peace nearly as soon as I began walking the path along the edge of Leverett Pond. It was still early enough that the trail could almost be called my own, but that soon changed as the sun climbed the sky. I had never set foot even near Olmsted Park before this weekend and was shocked at the beauty I found waiting for me. I miss the woods and mountains of Acadia, but this will more than do for life in a city. Olmsted Park, established in 1891, is one of the nine parks that make up the Emerald Necklace, a series of green spaces designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and all of which are on the National Register of Historic Places. If I wanted, I could walk all the way to Arnold Arboretum if I so chose, but this weekend, I only walked to Jamaica Pond and then nearly all the way back to my apartment. I'm grateful, that this space is so close to where I now live and so easily reachable. I can hear the T come and go from my apartment bedroom, which has its own charm, but I miss time spent in nature, so this will certainly, certainly do. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

A Lady in Boston All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger