A Snowy Sunday in Somerville

Sunday, December 30, 2012



Winter has arrived in all her glory. Last night snow descended on the city and left our streets and homes covered in white. Wrapped in layers (and yet, not enough of them), we walked to Davis Square by passing Powder House Square and Nathan Tufts Park. Before today, I didn't know that the Powder House located in the park was originally built in the first decade of the 18th century and that in 1774, British troops usurped a substantial amount of gunpowder that had been stored there. Naturally, this enraged local residents and led to what is known as the "Powder Alarm," something I didn't know about either. It's a wonderful thing to discover such history in one's midst! 

Later I found myself wandering through the Public Garden downtown, where many others similarly walked to take note of the wintry environs. The bronze statue of George Washington is a favorite of mine. I don't think it could be any more perfect. The last photograph was shot on Beacon Street, just before I turned onto Charles to lead me through Beacon Hill. From there, I made my way home, but not before I picked up the beloved Sunday NYT, now eagerly waiting for my perusal. 


2 comments:

  1. The picture quality is amaaaazing. You don't have the iphone5?! Movie quality pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks dear! Most of the photos on the blog are taken with my Canon Rebel. A few are taken with my iphone 4....

    ReplyDelete

A Lady in Boston All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger