SoWa Vintage Market

Sunday, December 9, 2012


Last year when my best friend was finishing college in Boston, she left me an enthusiastic message about the SOWA Vintage Market, which I stored somewhere deep in the back of my mind. At the time, I had no thought of moving to Boston and thus had no particular reason to remember her recommendation. That is, until just recently. So this morning, when I decided to visit the market, I knew I would enjoy what I found.  

The market is located inside of a old, brick warehouse in the South End of Boston, in the SoWa arts and media section. Every Sunday, the market opens its doors to the public and invites vintage lovers to search for antiquarian treasures. 
 I went around 10 am, just as it was opening. Vendor after vendor sold rows of vintage clothing, trinkets, and accessories. I went with the hope of finding a small kitchen table, but alas was unsuccessful. That's not to say the market didn't have its share of furnishing, which it most certainly did. I just didn't find the perfect piece I had in mind. 

But for a girl with a vintage sensibility and an appreciation for lace, oxfords, and satchels, the market was a little slice of heaven. Because I had many errands to complete today, I didn't linger and peruse as I would have liked. Something to look forward to in the future! 

Since I absolutely needed a small table for the kitchen, I drove south to the mothership: Ikea. The last time I visited Ikea was two years ago, when I was studying abroad in Berlin. Perhaps it's because I visited Ikea often as a child, but there is nothing more more comforting and exciting than a return visit. I bought something very simple but utilitarian-in time, I'll be able to retrieve my beloved gateleg table still waiting for me at my mother's in Maine. 

Perhaps it's an odd juxtaposition-
spending the morning sifting through vintage goods
 and the afternoon amidst cool, Scandinavian design, 
but it was a perfect way to spend the Sunday.  


1 comments:

  1. Well, I'm hooked! Wonderful posting....can't wait to read the next!

    ReplyDelete

A Lady in Boston All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger