Art in Cambridge

Saturday, December 22, 2012


Rain kept me indoors yesterday, seeking Harvard's art collection for the very first time and subsequently enjoying a few delectable French macarons in a nearby cafe. For the past several years, the Fogg Museum and Busch-Reisinger Museum have undergone extensive renovations, which has left the Arthur M. Sackler Museum to showcase to visitors the best of Harvard's art holdings. Thus, the Sackler now contains a mixture of Modern, Contemporary, Ancient, Asian & Islamic and later Indian Art across three floors. I particularly enjoyed the Austrian Secession and German Expressionism art, which I became so familiar with during my time in Berlin. There were, of course, a lot of "fan favorites"-works by such giants as Picasso, Cézanne, Pollock, Monet, etc that would capture the attention of any visitor. I also found the Asian art beautifully curated and will most likely return to study it further. Though I am certainly glad I went yesterday, I will be very eager to see the newly instated Fogg and Busch-Reisinger Museums, because I would like to see the full extent of their collections. 

The rain was still heavily pouring when I left the Sackler. Fighting the wind and the downpour, I found my way to Crema Cafe on Brattle Street, where I indulged in a small chai and two Chocolate Chili macarons. 




By the time I finished, the sky opened to sunshine once again. 

My new job doesn't begin until the New Year, so I am left to make the most of my remaining mini-vacation. Lots of places to go and things to see! 

Ps. The flying angels (18thcent.) by an unidentified artist are for you mom! :) 

1 comments:

A Lady in Boston All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger