Wilson Farm

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Wilson Farm, located in nearby Lexington,  is a food lover's paradise. The moment I walked into their store I nearly gasped with delight. This is how a farm's bounties should be displayed: in simple order with thoughtful packaging, surrounded by fresh cut flowers and the glories of the nursery. A rustic barn complete with exposed wooden beams doesn't help either. I found myself connecting to the food as if it came from my own non-existent garden, as if I had only just plucked the lettuce from the backyard and took some basil from the pot by the window. I do love grocery stores, yet I always suffer from a sense of alienation towards the food I see and buy. The same questions that we've all asked ourselves over the past decade never seem to leave my mind: where did this come from, is it organic, is it safe? 
But here, there was no such barrier. I communed with the food and left delighted with all my purchases. Despite the snow that falls today, spring suddenly felt nearer. I left reminded that food ought to be respected and appreciated-not only when we eat a delicious meal out, but when we dine in, with the groceries we have brought into our homes. Leave it to a farm that has been in operation since 1884 to remind us. 

5 comments:

  1. A gem for all but most especially for those who love to cook! Wish we had one here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish it were even closer to me! There has to be something similar in VA...no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best kingdom du visit especially on october for a frenchie like me.
    I really enjoy your pictures : Boston is my world favorite place ans my cousins live at Arlington close to Wilson Farm.
    Christine DEMOLON, Nantes FRANCE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Christine!!!

    ReplyDelete

A Lady in Boston All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger