Nearby: Appleton Farms

Thursday, April 11, 2013



My Ipswich excursion simply had to include a stop at Appleton Farms, one of the oldest operating farms in the country. The land is extensive and perfectly pastoral-dotted with trails and paths for visitors to walk alongside pastures home to grazing livestock.  I parked at the Appleton Farms Grass Rides entrance and slowly made my way towards the farmstead, perhaps a mile and a half away, where the Dairy Store and Visitor's Center are located. The walk was like a step back in time and I couldn't help but fancy myself a farm girl of the past (a remarkably clean one). I sat on this bench in the picture above and had a bit of a picnic, relishing the quiet that I knew would not last long. The Visitor's Center was closed (only open on weekends) but I bought wonderful goat cheese from the Dairy Store and made a point to talk to the cows (they had perfect names) before making my way back to the zipcar. I can't help but imagine that the farm is livelier on the weekends, but the calmness I experienced was decadent and sorely needed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

A Lady in Boston All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger