Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University

Saturday, April 27, 2013


Today was a near perfect spring day, meant for relishing the sunshine and celebrating the arrival of cheerful, warmer weather. I drove south to Arnold Arboretum to do both. 
Designed by Frederick Law Olmstead, a well regarded figure in Bostonian history, the park was established in 1872 and is a National Historic Landmark, in addition to serving as a research institution and a natural haven for the city of Boston. Entrance is free every day of the year and I learned that they also offer classes and various educational programs to the public.I spent the majority of my time lingering beside the flowering plants in the Bradley Rosaceous Collection (the first photograph above), wishing I had a reason to stay longer. I eagerly look forward to the blossoming of the lilacs-there are nearly 400 of them at the park representing 176 different varieties  A Sunday each year is chosen to honor them (this year, Lilac Sunday is May 12th), which seems like a wonderful thing to do. 

Boston needed a beautiful Saturday like today. I don't think anyone took it for granted. 

2 comments:

A Lady in Boston All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger