Somerville Winter Farmers Market

Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Somerville Winter's Market is located in the Armory Building on Highland Ave, which is a pleasant, ten minute walk from Davis Square. My mother was the first to mention its existence to me (practically the first or second week I moved to the area), but I always postponed the visit. However, winter's departure heightened the necessity to see it, so I walked there last Saturday, encouraged by my fellow pedestrians who strode in the same direction. The Armory itself is an imposing building, like a castle and colored in the hue of winter, but strangely out of place. When I entered, I heard the sound of a pianist playing from inside the cafe and a moment later, saw several chickens on display captivating a small audience. Advancing a few steps forward, I was in the main section of the building, filled with vendors selling every kind of food imaginable (perhaps a stretch). Another band played upbeat tunes and the place was appropriately crowded. The market has everything one would expect to see and a bit more as well-like Q's Nuts from down the street. Sadly yet inevitably, the market is coming to an end with its final heyday next week. But I was encouraged by the strong community feel and will most certainly visit often next winter! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

A Lady in Boston All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger